Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Monday on Tuesday. Instead of doing the "usual" and teaching geography from my textbook, film, workbook, etc. I've got the kids doing something else for studying Central and South America. They are going to make a travel brochure/booklet for a three week trip complete with itinerary, etc. They will start their research tomorrow using individual laptops, and supplement it with their textbook, library visit, etc. Part of this is to meet the directive to use technology in my classroom, but another part of it is because it is what they want. I asked them last week. Universally, they wanted to work in groups, and they wanted a project. They asked for it, now they have it. I think that if done well, the brochures/booklets will be a good assessment of their knowledge of geography of the region. Assessments don't always have to be tests do they? Part of the Core Content Literacy program that I am a part of also told us that "learning is more important than grades". I agree.
I introduced the project today, and it was interesting to hear the responses. You could really tell the students who work well within the conventional system of grades, tests, etc. They are very talented at working in that system. However, I liked hearing what the kids had to say who were not so concerned with that, as to what they thought ought to be included in their booklet. The latter will be a lot of fun to read and evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment