Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I hate being or getting behind. With trying to write lesson plans, teach those plans, study for my courses I think that my plate is full to overflowing. Add to that all the nit-noid stuff that interferes with a teachers day: writing students up for behavior problems or not turning in their work, having to fill out forms, and other things to prove I am doing all of those things in the first sentence, and it has me to the breaking point.
Had a student today who exhibited some really bad attitude towards her schoolwork. I had students finishing up a project, and those that were finished I assigned some reading in their textbook for our next unit to keep them busy and prepare them for what we are going to do starting tomorrow. One young lady said that my assignment was stupid, boring, etc. Fine, sorry she doesn't like it. She was very vocal about talking to her mother tonight about being home-schooled. I told her I could arrange a meeting with the administrator to start that process immediately if she wished. Yes, I was fighting every urge I had to not tear into this ungrateful little ignoramus. She will be getting a write-up tomorrow for being off-task (she insisted on reading a library book instead of her textbook). I went to some of my team about this child and found out that she has been exhibiting the same behavior in their classroom, and it was requested that I document it in some way. I did give her a choice as per L&L though. Read the assignment or go talk to the asst. principal about it. I will pray tomorrow morning for peace and calm in my dealings with students. I will need it.
For what it is worth, the Power Teaching seems to be going well. There is so much there to learn, but I really like it, and the kids seem to really be into it. It has been a help to me so far.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if this child is bored? She seems to want to disconnect somehow. Can you find a really good fiction book about the subject you are teaching now and offer that to her? Sounds like she likes to read and THAT is very positive!

    ReplyDelete