Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Power Teaching. Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow!!!! This is awesome stuff! Messy? Yes, but the level of student engagement, and the potential learning with short bursts from the teacher, and students teaching students is awesome. I find myself saying "SHAM-WOW!!!"

Seriously though, my wife and I both (I couldn't resist showing it to her last night after class) stayed up until 11:00 PM last night exploring all the links and down-loading the Crazy Professor Reading Program. (We'll both be using that one.) We both decided to start this today, and warned our neighbors on each side. :) I took it in baby steps, just starting them off with "Class/Yes" and "dextra/extra". By the end of the day I was introducing "teach/ok". It is amazing how I got their attention with something so simple. Interestingly, my 6th period class was rather disinterested about the whole thing, and took more effort to get them on board. I will work on them more tomorrow. (Interestingly, in conferring with SWMBO on how her efforts at this went, her 6th period class was the least interested as well. Why? Time of day? An hour after lunch? Who knows?)
I can really see this method becoming my style of classroom management. It fits my personality as I have always been somewhat of a rebel, and this does so much to snub its nose at authority in a way. Return tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-place for tomorrow's riveting episode of You Don't Scare Me, I Teach Middle School!

1 comment:

  1. I absolUTELY want you to be sure to video one of your lessons where you are using Power Teaching. New Requirement!!!! Whooo HOOOO

    ReplyDelete