OK, I'm a bad thing. I went to a PD session in Bowling Green yesterday, and forgot to post, so I guess this will be a daily-double.
I went to the second part of a core-content literacy PD that we are in due to a grant. To be honest, this is about the best PD I have had so far since I have been teaching this year. The basic premise is that we have to help kids unlock their thought processes through various means, and release them gradually, and not too soon, to do their own thinking, learning, etc. This is all based on getting the kids to work harder, and the teachers less. It entails a good bit of reflection on the part of the students.
This is something that I am excited about trying out. I was complaining today that I have tried to reach my kids through various means in an effort to engage them, and still feel I am beating my head against a wall. Some are just blowing me and/or the work off, but some have no home life, or inspiration to do well. In the case of the latter, why should they? Their home-life is such a living hell, why should they hope that things will get any better, when their whole life has been without hope? (You know, we sit and tell 12 year olds that their education is valuable, that it will mean much to them in their success in the future, but how much "future" can a 12 year old see? I know that I could not see much further than the end of my nose when I was their age, why should they be any different. Add to that a parent/parents that do not value an education, care about their kids, etc. and what do you have? On top of that, if I don't find a way to make these kids successful, then I am a "bad teacher". I am not an Erin Gruwell. I will not sacrifice my marriage and family and spend every waking hour for my job.)
Did a review with my kids today, very disappointing to say the least. I was hoping that the Power Teaching would engage them enough that they would take on the information better than they did. I'm not sure what to do. I am going to get into the "meat" of my unit this next week. I am going to try a carousel or graffiti wall to get them to capture their thoughts, and promote some learning. I'm very discouraged tonight.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment