Sunday, March 29, 2009

Apologies to all for not getting my work in on time, but the storms knocked out my ISP and my phone line. Still curious as to why my phone line won't work? Anyway, here goes another episode of . . . . You Don't Scare Me! I Teach Middle School!

Am I a helicopter? You bet. I think most new teachers are. Another factor that I think forces us into this role is the accountability sword that hangs over everyone's neck. Anytime my students don't do well, everyone wants to know what it was I did or didn't do to cause this to happen. Parents, students, and even the guidance office do this. I have yet to encounter anyone in the system that thinks that it might be the student's fault for not paying attention. Incidentally, last year I caught something in a book SWMBO was reading about having a logical mind. It said something like "paying attention: isn't there an implication that there is a price to be paid in doing this, that some kind of sacrifice is made, paid, in performing this action? I have got to find someway to break this habit. I have tried at various times to force my students to do this, but I know that I cannot completely break six or more years of habit in a few weeks or months, especially if those up and down the hall from me are undoing it for me in their classes.

Media Specialist/Librarian, what can they do for me. Well, I know what they are supposed to do for my and my students. Typically he/she should:

- find sources, both in print and electronic, that support my curriculum and lesson plans.
- offer the use of the media center/library to my classes to support my curriculum and give us a chance to explore our learnings further.
- help show us how the available technology can enhance our students' classroom experience.
- help us troubleshoot any problems we are experiencing with the available technology.
- make themselves available for students who need enrichment while the teacher re-teaches, reviews with those that still need help.

On Friday I took a group of students to a history competition at WKU in Bowling Green. I was explaining to the students the schedule, and what was going to happen. I told them that they would have 35 minutes to answer and essay question, and one girl got visibly upset to the point of being in tears. After I calmed her down, I asked some of her comrades if she reacted this way to essay questions in the classroom. They said that the teacher had to routinely give her two class periods to answer a simple ORQ. This child has no IEP. Call me a hard-nosed person if you will, but I think that this is a bit much from a student that is about to enter HS. Do you have a student like this in your classroom? In my mind this child desperately needs some counseling.

No comments:

Post a Comment