OK, SWMBO went to a PLC seminar/PD the first two days this week, and came home with a new term for us: "intentional non-learner". I love it. Do any of you have a few of these laying about your class? Of course we're not talking about the kid(s) who have trouble with the content, we're talking about the ones that just refuse to do their work. Sounds like a case for some kind of L&L to me.
I have a few of these. Seems no matter what I do, they just refuse to perform. "Did you study?" "No". "Why"? "I don't care, as long as it's not an F, my dad doesn't care". (The preceding was an actual conversation between me and one of my students this last week.)
What do you do about an intentional non-learner? I am about at my wits end with some of mine.
I started to reteach/review my material for my re-test on Friday. This seems to be going well. My breakdown of their scores shows some gaps, and I am trying to address this. Today they got a "quick and dirty" rehash of geography and history of Russia. I corrected some things I think I did wrong the first time. One was the way I drew a number line on the board. I initially drew it vertically. I only did this the first go around because I had little room on the board that day. Today I drew it horizontally like a number line (which is how I view history), and they seemed to go "aha, I get it now". Funny how the little things like that can make a difference in a students understanding.
Tomorrow my students have a remedial sheet to do in class along with a sheet of notes in graphic organizer form to take home and study tomorrow night. My enrichment activity (for those that have this down pat) is a world literature exercise with reflective questions.
Wish me luck!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment