Sunday, April 26, 2009

I know this is rhetorical at best, but what kind of situation have we created that we have to watch our for cheating? Now, I know that cheaters have existed for the entire time man has walked the earth. Let's face it, there will always be people that want something for nothing.

High-stakes testing has not helped this situation either. What about teachers, administrators, etc. who cheat? On more than one occasion last year during CATS I had a 6th grader ask me to do something that I knew was inappropriate during CATS, and when I responded with "just do your best" I was met with "why don't you help em with the answer, my teacher at (blank) did last year?" :o No kidding, and the school that this child went to was thrown up to us as a school to emulate because of their scores. I and many others see red over this, and the fact that it sets such a terrible example for our students is not the least of it either.

I know that many will say that a really great relationship with the kids will make them ashamed of cheating if they get caught. However, my cynicism, and limited experience tells me that these students are in the minority. Most cheaters do so because they lack character, and they don't care what you think (the majority) of they are pressured into it to please mummy and daddy, making the latter happy at any cost (even their very soul) is paramount in that child's mind.

'Nuff said I suppose, now I'm really frustrated just thinking about it. LOL, what a negative subject to start my week on during the Sabbath. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment