Saturday, April 4, 2009

Student-led conferences. I just don't see it happening. Maybe with older students, but I do not see my 6thg graders doing this. Add to this the fact that the only parents and students that show up for conferences are usually the ones you don't need to see.

Why? These are the parents that choose to take part in their child's life, etc. Usually, these are the ones that do well as it is. I have seen some parents of the troubled kids show up, but it is usually after it is too late. I was witness to this last week. This student failed 6th grade, and is about to fail 7th. He will be driving to his 8th grade promotion. His father is very concerned, and my heart goes out to him, but it is really too late. I and all the other teachers have doen everything possible for this child for the last two years. There has to be a certain responsibility on the part of the child.

I can see student-led conferences being a benefit under certain circumstances, but it would also have to be a part of the school's, or even that grade level's culture to work. I am not in the position to make that happen. Not yet.

1 comment:

  1. Is it ever too late, really? I know you are working so hard - but if you can't manage to make a difference, at least keep hoping that someone, somewhere, sometime, WILL.

    ReplyDelete