Thursday, April 16, 2009

OK, being the dullard boy that I am, I could not quite tell if we were supposed to post about community resources here, or on the message board on Learning House. So, in the interest of covering my hind end, here:

While there are a lot of community resources to use in schools in my community:

- 4H
- State Ag. Extension Service
- Parent Volunteers
etc.

Few are geared towards my Social Studies curriculum of World Geography. I can think of three individuals I could use for this:

- our local veterinarian who has traveled extensively in the Ukraine and Russia doing mission work for his church. (Being the dullard that I am, I did NOT think of this until right before my unit on Russia last month. D'oh!)

- our asst. principal who just got back from a tour leading an infantry company in Iraq/Baghdad. Being a history freak like me, most of his photos, etc. had a great slant on early civilization.

- our GEAR UP coordinator is a retired intel NCO and SPEC OPS NCO and qualified Pashtun and Arabic language specialist.

These I could use in my classroom. I also have some contacts at Fort Campbell I could use for this as well.
The only other ones I could think of would be to ask my local government representatives (state and federal) if they would come to my classroom.

Aside from these I cannot think of any morein my community that I could honestly use in my curriculum.

2 comments:

  1. Wow these are wonderful Warren! I am sorry that the assignment wasn't clear. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the clarity, or lack of, had more to do with operator headspace and timing on my part than your assignment. :)

    ReplyDelete